Apple pie protein nuggets
Satisfy your hunger, energy and nutritional needs with these delicious, moist and healthy bars containing high-quality proteins, carbs and fats, as well as blood-sugar-balancing ingredients.
CHEF GINA HUDSON CREATED THE FOLLOWING PLANTBASED PROTEIN RECIPE YOU CAN MAKE YOURSELF IN JUST 15 MINUTES. LEAD INSTRUCTOR AT THE LIVING LIGHT CULINARY INSTITUTE, HUDSON CREATES HEALTHY RECIPES FOR ACTIVE LIFESTYLES. GINAHUDSON.COM
- 2 bananas, mashed
- ½ cup almond butter (or nut butter of choice)
- ½ cup raw coconut nectar (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups oat fl our
- 1 cup oats, whole
- 1½ cups dried apples, chopped
- 1 cup buckwheat fl our
- ½ cup soaked and dehydrated raw buckwheat groats, or kasha (Kasha is toasted buckwheat.)
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup hemp seed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp lemon zest (the yellow part of the lemon peel)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
1. Put the wet ingredients in a blender and blend until well-combined and creamy. Alternately put the wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk rapidly to combine until creamy.
2. In a medium to large mixing bowl, put the dry ingredients in and mix together well with a spoon.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix together with a spatula or your hands to combine together thoroughly. Using gloves can help mix with hands.
4. Line a glass pan or biscuit sheet (23cm x 23cm, 18 cm x 28cm, etc., all work great) with parchment paper, having paper come out of two of the ends so the bars can be lifted out of the pan. Using your hands, press the mixture into place. Use a rubber spatula to smooth out and ensure entire pan has an even surface.
5. Place pan in fridge for a minimum of one hour. This allows the bars an opportunity to firm up and hold their shape while cutting. Recommended shapes when cutting are rectangles, squares or energy nuggets. Storage Suggestion: Store in an airtight container. Bars will keep for one month in the fridge and three months in the freezer.
Nutrition facts (per serving): calories 261, total fat 8g, carbs 43g, fi bre 6g, protein 7g