TANDOORI CROCK-POT CHICKEN
WITH CHICKPEAS, PEARS & COLLARD GREENS
This sweet and savoury lowfat dish packs in a whopping 48 per cent of your RDI for fibre per serving. Fibre helps ward off fat buildup.
- Ready in 20 minutes, plus 8 hours of slow cooking
- Makes 3 servings
- 1 (225g) chicken breast
- 420g can chickpeas
- 2 pears
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 1 cup plain low-fat Greek yoghurt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 25mm ginger, minced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut 3 large slits across the width of the chicken breast.
2. Drain chickpeas and cut pears into slices. Rinse greens. Set all foods aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup yoghurt with remaining sauce ingredients.
4. Place chickpeas into the slow cooker. Smear the tandoori sauce on both sides of the chicken breast and place on top of the chickpeas. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
5 Remove cooked chicken from the slow cooker. Stir in the remaining yoghurt and pear pieces. Add chicken back to heat through while you steam the greens.
6. Heat a large pot of water, filled about 25mm high. Insert a steamer basket. Remove ribs from greens, stack them, then cut crosswise into thin
ribbons. Put greens in steamer basket and cover with a lid. Let steam until bright green, about 2 minutes. Remove from steamer basket and set aside. Plate 2 cups steamed collard greens and top with 1/3 of the chicken breast, plus 1 cup of sauce with pears and chickpeas.
Nutrients per serving (472 g): Calories: 418, Total Fats: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 1 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Cholesterol: 58 mg, Salt: 168 mg, Total Carbohydrates: 56 g, Dietary Fibre: 12 g, Sugars: 23 g, Protein: 39 g, Iron: 4 mg