Smash those shoulders
posted on 23/04/2014 1:00:00 AM
Smash those shoulders
MODEL: MEGHAN RAE | PHOTOGRAPHY BY DALLAS OLSEN | MAKE-UP BY SUE MCLAURIN
MUSCLES ARE LAZY – if you put them through the same routine day in and day out, they’ll quietly sit back and just do enough to get through the workout. This will mean no growth, and we want growth! So, to keep your muscles from slipping into sloth, you need to mix up your workouts regularly, and we have the plan to do it! We’ve got seven exercises that create four different workouts. Your shoulders will soon be looking beautiful and well-formed rather than lazy and lacklustre.
WHY THIS PLAN WILL WORK:
1. You’ll keep your muscles confused, and that means growth! The following workouts are designed to promote continuous adaptation to get you the results you’re after.
2. Each workout begins with a multi-joint exercise, making it the heaviest of the four exercises. This means you’ll be able to use your initial energy to power through the multi-joint movement, and use the remaining single-joint exercises to build full development.
3. Most standing exercises encourage a wider stance; however, by having your feet together, it forces your body to work harder. You will engage the stabiliser and balance muscles, promoting not only shoulder development, but overall functional strength too.
4. These exercises include the use of a barbell and dumbbells. When using barbells, you will engage more target muscle fibres, while the dumbbells hit the target muscles and the various other assistor muscles.
5. To help you look even better, we’re going to help you balance out your muscles. As you will see, we’ve included upright rows to help build your upper trapezius and balance out the musculature between the deltoids.
6. As you will notice, there are varying reps for each exercise. The moderate range reps will help your muscle’s development potential and, to allow you to train even better in each subsequent workout, the high range reps will improve nutrient, blood and oxygen delivery.
SIDE LATERAL RAISE
Target Muscles: Middle deltoids
Set-Up: Stand tall with your feet together, knees soft. Hold a dumbbell in each hand in front of your upper thighs; your palms should be facing each other.
Action: With your elbows slightly bent, bring the dumbbells up and out from your body, forming a ‘T’ shape. When the dumbbells reach slightly higher than your shoulders, twist your wrists forward as if you were pouring a jug of water. Hold momentarily and return to the start position.
For the rest of this article, check out issue #65 of Oxygen Magazine Australia in all good newsagents, or you can click here to subscribe.
Source Url: http://www.oxygenmag.com.au/Training/tabid/4730/entryid/1361/Smash-those-shoulders.aspx
| Tags: | View Count: (57056) | Return